Saturday, June 10, 2006

I am not a produce inspector, but I have seen them on TV!

"Okay! Everybody, give me ten laps!"
That is how "Coach" handled my gym class when one or two ne'er-do-wells would tamper with the conformist nature of his class. Being of a larger non-atheletic nature than most others in the class this would be nothing short of being condemned to hell for the next 30 minutes of my life.
The thought behind such a punishment was never in dispute. It is one I have seen in many a war movie. (the encyclopedia I use when dissecting the traditions of military service) Divide and conquer! Make the rest of the unit force the bad actors to conform. As my eighth grade teacher (or all of my elementary teachers for that matter) would say "It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch" I hated that saying, and whatever undeserved punishment was about to follow it.
But it seemed to work! Generally in the fifth, (the most painful and side splitting) lap, as much as I dreamed of a more relaxing endeavor in far left field of a game of softball, there were others among us that looked forward to playing a game of "watch the fat kid try to catch a ball with the sun in his eyes". So with unspoken agreement our unlikely alliance would proceed to ostracize the perpetrator to conformity.
Such punishments my well have to employed today. In recent verbal debacles we have seen on the national scene, there are two ne'er-do-wells, I feel would be worthy of being publicly ostracized.
Ann Coulter a hateful right-wing pundit , who spews her money driven assmossity, and John Hostettler, of the House of Representatives, who insists on making up issues in order to further his isolationist agenda.
They are bad apples, and should be put on notice!
Now give me ten laps!

No comments: