Tuesday, August 08, 2006

It Hurts!

Blam! It hit me like the second scene in an Aaron Spelling television show.
This is not going to be good.
I mentioned to co workers that I wanted to leave a little early today to vote, and with few exceptions I have found that most of them do not think this election thingy is all that important.
They vote in the big elections, not the hum drum ones.
But when I mention the fact that there is a millage request I see a spark in their eye. Unfortunately it diminishes when they realize that there would be that 10 minute journey to the school, or township hall. "Where do I go to vote?"
I give up, and in a moment of misguided apathy they ask what else is on the ballot. Governor? Are we voting for governor this time?
Umm...Yes I said,..In a way .
I get a glassy eyed stare.
The kind that says I hope he doesn't explain what he means.
At this point I decided to relinquish control of the conversation back to the subject of the day "Big Brother" and go back to what I was doing.
Hours later I am on my way out of work when I am asked....Where do we vote?
I said, go home and dial *56 on your cell phone.
"Really we can do that?"
Yes I said, But be sure to watch Julie Chen on the CBS morning show for the result.

I wish I could form sentences!

3 comments:

agnosticrat said...

LONESTER!
The easy answer would be all/none of the above but that is much too complex for this crowd!

truthfulpat said...

Try thinking about teaching people somehting about self government...starting with just how their government works (or dosen't)

el grillo said...

Teaching? Educating? Informing?

Seems like that is the sequence kids are supposed to develop in school - college - life.
"Civics" was required at my elementary school, and later I was told to search for knowledge. Blogging seems to be more informative than newspaper reading. What's wrong with that picture?